7000 - Personnel

7100 R 7100-Recruitment and Selection of Personnel

Rules & Procedures

In accordance with Board Policy 7100, Recruitment and Selection of Personnel, all new employees’ legal status or authorization to work in the United States must be verified. The lists below identify acceptable documentation:

List A Documents

These documents establish both identity and employment eligibility. The applicant may show any one of these documents to complete the I-9 Form.

1. U.S. Passport (unexpired or expired)
2. Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (INS Form N-560 or N-561)
3. Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570)
4. Unexpired foreign passport, with I-551 stamp or attached INS Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization
5. Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (INS Form I-151 or I-551)
6. Unexpired Temporary Resident Card (INS Form I-688)
7. Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (INS Form I-688A)
8. Unexpired Reentry Permit (INS Form I-327)
9. Unexpired Refugee Travel Document (INS Form I-571)
10. Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by the INS which contains a photograph (INS Form I-688B)

If the applicant does not provide one of the documents specified in List A, the person may show a document described in List B and a document described in List C.

List B Documents

These documents establish identity.  Unless the person has provided a document from List A (above), the applicant must show a document in both List B and List C to complete the I-9 Form.

1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address;
2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address;
3. School ID card with a photograph;
4. Voter's registration card;
5. U.S. Military card or draft record;
6. Military dependent's ID card;
7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card;
8. Native American tribal document;
9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority.

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:
10. School record or report card
11. Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
12. Day-care or nursery school record

List C Documents

These documents establish employment eligibility.

1. U.S. social security card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment)
2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
3. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal
4. Native American tribal document
5. U.S. Citizen ID Card (INS Form I-197)
6. ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (INS Form I-179)
7. Unexpired employment authorization document issued by the INS (other than those listed under List A)

Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification

OMB No. 1615-0047


Legal References:
Cross References:
Monday, 08 December 2014
Last Updated: