6000 - Support Services

6322 Student Assignment To Buses


Any student assigned to a school that is one and a half miles or more from his or her residence is eligible for transportation services to and from school. In addition, a student identified as having special needs will be provided with transportation services if entitled to such by federal and state laws and regulations. Also, the superintendent or designee shall consider applications for transportation services in the following situations:

1. when factors are present that may endanger the safety of students walking to the school;

2. when the student is medically certified as temporarily incapacitated; and

3. if the student has voluntarily requested a transfer from his or her regularly assigned school and the requested school is greater than one and a half miles from his or her residence; however, transportation will not be provided for students living outside of the county.


The parent or guardian of any child enrolled in the school system may request bus services. The request should be made to the principal of the assigned school or another designated school official. The principal or other designated official shall forward the application to the superintendent or designee. If the application is denied by the superintendent or designee, the parent may seek review of the decision in accordance with policy 1740/4010, Student and Parent Grievance Procedure.

The board will direct that the student be provided transportation services if either (1) the board finds that the student is entitled to be transported to and from school on the school bus designated in the application; or (2) the board finds that the transportation of the student on the requested bus to and from such school is in the best interest of the student, will not interfere with the proper administration of the school or with the safe and efficient transportation by school bus of other students enrolled in the school, and will not endanger the health or safety of the children enrolled at the school.

Legal References:
G.S. 115C-239, -240, -241, -244; Policies Governing Services for Children with Disabilities, State Board of Education Policy GCS-D-000
Cross References:
Student and Parent Grievance Procedure (policy 1740/4010)
Monday, 09 January 2012
Last Updated: